Factum Vicesimus Quartus

Exploring web x.0, innovation and RIA techniques

Add to Google

Last week I requested a free student license for Flex Builder 3 from Adobe, and this week I found it in my mailbox. After downloading the Flex Builder 3 trail version from the Adobe website and applying my license key to it, it said I now have the Education version. But the strange thing is that when I open the ‘About Adobe Flex Builder 3…’ window, it tells me I have Flex Builder 2 and then freezes the entire application (see screen shot below)! All of the menu buttons in the top bar are gone and the application stops responding to anything. I had to restart Flex Builder in order to continue my work.

After installing the trail version of Flex Builder 3 on my Windows XP machine this afternoon I checked the same window. At first I didn’t apply my license key to it so it was still in trail mode. No strange things, just the normal black ‘About Adobe Flex Builder 3’ window. But after applying the student license key the window was corrupted again! The only difference between the Windows and OS-X version was that on the Windows machine it didn’t completely crash my Flex Builder, and I was able to return to the development screen by clicking the corrupted window.

Apparently there is a little bug in the educational license system in Flex Builder 3.

Click screen shot for a larger version…

8 Responses to "Flex Builder 3 thinks it’s Flex Builder 2?!"
  1. # 1   Filipe
    March 15th, 2008 at 19:28

Indeed… Same thing happends here.

2. # 2   Tim Buntel
    March 17th, 2008 at 19:03

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this. We have logged a bug for the issue and we’ll try to remedy it.
    Best,
    Tim Buntel
    Sr. Product Manager, Flex Builder
    Adobe Systems Incorporated

3. # 3   Wietse Veenstra
    March 18th, 2008 at 06:55

Thanks very much Tim!

4. # 4   Kana Yeh
    March 18th, 2008 at 18:42

I received my Flex 3 student license as well :) YEH!! Thanks for pointing me to it.

When I open About Flex 3..it shows nothing much..guess it is my computer playing tricks with me: http://missyeh.nl/z31wf

5. # 5   Installing Flex Builder 3 Pro Educational license | Mind the Flex
    March 26th, 2008 at 00:06

[…] As Adobe Flex Builder 3 Professional is available for free to all education customers, I ordered it last week and today I got it. To get your free education license go here: http://flexregistration.com. Tanks to Adobe to making such a great tool available for free to educational users. I am using Adobe Flex daily at work, building financial software, but there is only Windows. Now I can use Flex in my MacBook Pro for academic purposes: the combination is so natural! A bad new is that I also got the same error (see screenshot) also reported by other developers. […]

6. # 6   Matt
    April 7th, 2008 at 15:23

Are there problems with the Flex Builder 3 Pro Educational license if you had not had version2 installed before installation?

7. # 7   Wietse Veenstra
    April 10th, 2008 at 08:32

@Matt
    Thank you for your comment. And to answer your question, yes, the problem also occurs when you don’t have an older version of Flex Builder installed on your system. I tried it on my freshly installed pc today and got the same error again.

8. # 8   Mike
    May 12th, 2008 at 15:46

Hmm does this mean there is something different in the educational version? Something less maybe? I received an educational license also but did not encounter this problem at all. Is the educational version limited in any way?

I am new to Flex but I plan to make a few things with it so I wouldn’t want anything limited. Just want to know if I should upgrade once it’s time to build something serious.